Monday, August 6, 2012

August is Here Already!


It's August 6th today.  Just writing that out makes me realize how fast this summer has gone.  I can't believe I've been in Oregon for 2 months already, and only a more left :(  I fell in love with it here and slowly am realizing that there are new adventures in the near future.

This past weekend, I watched the house and garden alone.  It was a good experience doing it all by myself.  While I enjoyed the quiet, it was also slightly harder to motivate myself to do some work.  There wasn't too much to be done, but it's definitely easier to get out there and do work when you know others are with you.  I think that if I have a farm in the future, I'd like to share it with at least one person.  It's nice to share that experience, and it makes it a lot more fun.
On Sunday, I woke up, had some breakfast and coffee and went out the garden again.  With the afternoons being so hot, it's really nice to get things done before it heats up.  I did a bunch of weeding in the greenhouses and making sure the plants were getting some water.  Things are looking great.  I cut off a few zucchinis that were out of control!  The cucumbers are totally making a comeback on the aphids (knock on wood) and melons are popping up out of nowhere it seems.  In a week or so, we're going to have a good amount of new vegetables.  But here's a peak at what's going on now...

I believe these are hot long peppers.  Thought the skinnier ones were, and used them in my salsa, and then Sara let me know that they were the cayenne peppers..woops!


Melons!

The first eggplant

The roma tomatoes are their way.  They're almost as tall as the greenhouse right now!

The sunflower that doesn't know to face the sun.

Walla Walla Onions...they should swell soon, and then shortly after be done.

The 5 eggs I got on Saturday...with 4 chickens and 1 rooster...I guess the rooster decided to jump in on the action too.

Today, we harvested some berries and three different kinds of potatoes.  The gophers got some of the potatoes, but we still had a good amount.  Sara said they are normally bigger, so not ideal, but better than nothing!  The blueberries are here too!  Anddd, the beautiful sunflowers are blooming.  Although the one didn't get the message that it's supposed to face the sun.

I'm extremely lucky to be doing what I'm doing in my life.  I'll never forget this summer.  Thank you nature for finally reeling me in...I'm hooked for life.

3 comments:

  1. Your sunflowers finally bloomed!!! I hope you are enjoying them. The photo at the top of the post is so cheery! Miss you guys...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roosters are necessary for making the chickens feel emotionally perturbed enough to lay an egg.

    ReplyDelete