Saturday, August 25, 2012

Huckleberries!

This past week has been filled with gallons upon gallons of huckleberries.  We went three times, so far, up the mountain to look for them.  More trips are in the future.  It was my first time picking and eating huckleberries fresh..delicious.  They grow in a moister environment, so you have to go up to find them.  There are huge patches of these bushes at certain places.  There's even places named after them...Huckleberry Gap and Huckleberry Lake.  They're about the size of blueberries (big blueberries if you're lucky) and they're a deep purple-blue when ripe.  The first and second times we went up, we took a few snacks and picked for a few hours.  The third time..homemade salsa, fruit, and beer.  Slowly, we were making a great day out of it.  We even ran into a friend this last time when we stopped for a short climb to a beautiful view - almost 360 degree view of the area.  The road was quite bumpy, but our rewards for worth it.  We found the jackpot...so many huckleberries, we practically had to drag ourselves away.  And while the first time we made some huckleberry pancakes, the third time we finally deserved pie : )




It's almost September and I'm still the happy girl I was in the beginning..in fact my happiness and love have only grown.  Today, I got some last minute purchases done for my next future adventures...yoga mat and books for my training, and my train ticket home.  It feels like I've been gone for so long, but it's only been 3 months.  In another 3 months, I'll be taking my first cross-country train ride ever...

Until then, I'll enjoy the fresh air of the mountains, the chirping of the birds, the mooing of the cows, the barking of Hobbs, the silence of the garden, and the breath of life all around me.  The days are slowing down, and the weather is too.  Fall is creeping in with its warm hues and chilly mornings.  Here's to the beauty of world.








All my love,
Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment