Friday, June 29, 2012

1 month later...

So today marks my first full month in Oregon.  June has honestly flown by so fast, I'm still spinning.  There has been a lot of rain here the past 4 or 5 days, but yesterday was the first day with lots of sun.  Then I woke up to light showers :/  At first, the rain was great for the plants, but now it needs to go away.  The garlic does not need anymore water, and really needs to dry out, and get pulled out soon.  The onions and corn are loving the rain, but the newly planted beans would like the weather to be a bit warmer.  The temperatures are supposed to be high for the weekend and beginning of the week, but still storms and possible showers.  Not ideal weather for a family reunion either, but it will all work out lovely somehow.

Today we had a very lazy start.  Up at 7 like usual; can't stay in bed when I hear coffee beans being roasted and the gurgling of the coffee machine mixed with a fragrant aroma.  We sat around, I read a bit, and just slowly began our Friday.  Around 10, Sara and I finally headed out to the garden to get some work done.  Before other work could be down, we did a bit of harvesting for today's deliveries.  Then we dug up the bed where the peas were, and raked it out.  I planted two types of pickling cucumbers and 2 leftover cantelope seeds.  Next, Sara set up a rainbow sprinkler in the greenhouse to spray cold water for the bugs.  Ant will probably drown, :( sorry but that's how you see it as a gardener, and other bugs don't like the cold water so they will go hide.  We hope this helps on top of the neem that we sprayed (african oil).  I ripped out more peas (you should see the bag we have to eat! sooo much) and dug up the row as well.  I then mixed in the cow compost and raked it out level.  Then I planted the pole beans!  After all that, I took some time to pick lots of flowers.  Sara has an amazing array of flowers and I asked if I could make a bouquet for my room.  She said of course, I can pick whenever I'd like because it's good for them -they will grow back more, plus we could also use them around the house...
The romane lettuce, leaf lettuce, and bok choy that were harvested for delivery today.

The tomatoes that are coming along!  The big one near the bottom is the lightest one so far..probably the first to turn red.

The bed that Sara and I turned for the pickling cucumbers and cantelopes.

All the flowers that I picked for vases.

Vase 1...

Vase 2...

And 3..my favorite.  This was my first bouquet that I made specifically.  I used the flowers I loved the best and with with a purple theme, with hints of yellow and white.  Next step is to identify all the flowers and have Sara check me!


I've been reading The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, and his words about all sorts of things are magically beautiful.  I actually have the same book at home that my dad gave to me (thanks Dad!)  It really is a lovely book.  I knew it would be, because my Dad has great taste and gives me wonderful books (he gave me Harry Potter when I was little too).  Here are some of his graceful words on Love:

Then said Almitra, Speak to us of Love.
And he raised his head and looked upon the people, and there fell a stillness upon them.  And with a great      voice he said:
     When love beckons you, follow him,
     Though his ways are hard and steep.
     And when his wings enfold you yield to him,
     Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you.
     And when he speaks to you believe in him,
     Though his voice may shatter your dreams as the north winds lays waste the garden.


     For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you.  Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning.
     Even has he ascends to your height and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun,
     So shall he descend to your roots and shake them in their clinging to the earth.
     Like sheaves of corn he gathers you unto himself.
     He threshes you to make you naked.
     He sifts you to free you from your husks.
     He grinds you to whiteness.
     He kneads you until you are pliant;
     And then he assigns you to his scared fire, that you may becomes sacred bread for God's sacred feast.


     All these things shall love do unto you that you make know the secrets of your heart, and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart.


     But if in your fear you would seek only love's peace and love's pleasure,
     Then it is better for you that you cover your nakedness and pass out of love's threshing-floor,
     Into the seasonless world where you shall laugh, but not all of your laughter, and weep, but not all of your tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment